Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Pride and Prejudice Pillow


(I love this picture of Colin Firth.  I used to have this picture as my desktop background on my computer, which my college room mate teased me mercilessly for. *cough* Are you reading this, Sophie?)

"Pride and Prejudice"- if you haven't read it, well....better get to it!

  When Sew Mama Sew announced their pillow contest, I was a little deflated when they said they wanted a pillow with "words to live by".  I kept looking at all the fun, spunking sayings, but they just weren't "speaking" to me.  Then I remembered this etsy shop I found around Christmas, and inspiration came. ;0)  I also thought this idea would work well for Lil Blue Boo and Dharma Trading Design Challenge.  Two birds with one stone!


I used Mr. Darcy's original proposal to Elizabeth.  

"In vain have I struggled.  It will not do.  My feelings will not be repressed.  You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."

These words don't necessarily scream "words to live by", but they do to me.  In the book (if you haven't read it) this declaration is the first sign that Mr. Darcy has any romantic inclinations towards Elizabeth.  Before all you see is a hard, prideful man who always criticizes.  I remember the way my heart stopped when I first read this declaration of love.  *gasp*  The man.loved.her....ardently!  These words don't immediately win over Elizabeth, but because he spoke them he does eventually win his lady's heart.  These words remind me that things aren't always as they seem, and not to be afraid to say what is on your heart.  



Don't give up on finding your Mr.Darcy, ladies!  I was lucky enough to have found mine. ;0)


 I tried to keep things simple with this pillow and make it something you might find in Jane Austen's house.  For the words I found a fun Jane Austen font, typed it up, and used t-shirt transfer paper to iron them on to some notebook type fabric.  I then cut this out, added some piping, and framed it in linen.  I added some chiffon roses to one side for a romantic look. :0)  For the binding I used a black and white stripe print from Sweetwater's Authentic line, and I added some cream lace that I had in my stash that couldn't help but make me think of Mrs. Bennett.


I don't know if this pillow is going to win any prizes, but I have to say that I really had fun making it!  

6 comments:

  1. I want this. I really really really want this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great idea...I couldn't believe what an idea this was!! I hope you win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot get over the details in this pillow. It was definitely a labor of love. The piping, the lace, the roses... It's divine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this pillow! It is so clever! Everyone fell in love with Mr. Darcy and to have those special words on the pillow also is just fabulous! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great idea, your pillow is so pretty

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! I try to reply to most comments via e-mail, so make sure to add your e-mail address if it isn't linked up (especially if you have a question!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...